- Inventory control clerk / Purchasing control clerk / Procurement clerk
- Inventory supervisor / Purchasing supervisor
Purchasing and inventory management professionals handle purchasing transactions and keep track of material, equipment and merchandise inventory.
- Control purchase orders and check whether materials, equipment and merchandise are available
- Conduct price evaluations
- Prepare and manage purchasing files, reports and price lists
- Control deliveries
- Maintain contact with suppliers
- Control and manage stock renewal
- Compile inventory reports specifying quantities, types and values
- Check computerized inventory by comparing it to the physical inventory
- Prepare purchase orders to re-order when low
These two functions can be performed by the same person or by two different clerks depending on the company’s needs.
INVENTORY AND/OR PURCHASING SUPERVISOR
Supervisors oversee the various clerks. They can take care of purchasing and inventory or only one of these activities.
Several years of experience in purchasing and/or inventory are required to hold this type of job.
Inventory and purchasing professionals must be thorough and methodical to control minute details.
They may be required to move about frequently to physically control stocks and deliveries. In some sectors, they may have to handle heavy loads.
Proficiency in office and inventory management software may be required.
The job of supervisor requires personnel supervisory skills.