We’re JTI, Japan Tobacco International and we believe in freedom. We think that the possibilities are limitless when you’re free to choose. In fact, we’ve spent the last 20 years innovating, creating new and better products for our consumers to choose from. It’s how we’ve grown to be present in 130 countries.
But our business isn’t just business. Our business is our people. Their talent. Their potential. We believe when they’re free to be themselves, grow, travel and develop, amazing things can happen for our business.
That’s why our employees, from around the world, choose to be a part of JTI. It is why 83% of employees feel happy working at JTI. And why we’ve been awarded Global Top Employer status, nine years running.
So when you’re ready to choose a career you’ll love, in a company you’ll love, feel free to #JoinTheIdea.
Learn more: jti.com
Payroll & Benefits Associate (Hybrid Working Conditions)
JTI-Macdonald Corp., established in 1858, is one of Canada’s oldest and leading tobacco companies employing approximately 500 employees across the country with headquarters in Mississauga (Ontario), manufacturing facilities in Montreal (Quebec) and sales offices across the country. In 2022, we have been certified as Canada’s #1 Employer by the Top Employers Institute.
JTI Canada is a member of Japan Tobacco International (JTI), producer of some of the world’s most recognizable tobacco brands. For the sixth consecutive year, we have been certified as a Top Employer, ranked #3 in Canada and #1 in North America for 2023. In addition, JTI was certified a Global Top Employer for the ninth consecutive year among only 15 other Global Top Employers.
JTI is a leading international tobacco and vaping company, with headquarters in Geneva, Switzerland, and an international workforce of 48,000 employees. Its world-renowned brands are available in over 130 markets. Though the tobacco industry is changing, JTI remains committed to providing adult consumers with a choice of a wide portfolio of quality products including those with the potential to reduce the risks associated with smoking.
Reporting to the Total Rewards Manager, the incumbent of this position will perform all payroll processing and benefits management activities for hourly employees at the Montreal factory and will coordinate health and safety training. They will ensure the remittance of government taxes and oversee compliance with collective agreements regarding salary terms. The incumbent is also responsible for all support work related to departmental operations, such as preparing various documents, reports and letters, updating personal and statistical files, collecting and recording information and performing other work-related tasks. All activities must be in compliance with factory standards ISO 9001, ISO 14001 and OHSAS 18001.
• Ensure payroll preparation, processing, analysis and transfer for all unionized employees in Quebec (±150).
• Perform Workforce/Kronos timesheet verification.
• Verify information entered into systems.
• Update employee files.
• Act as a point of contact for employees and managers on all payroll-related questions.
• Ensure compliance with collective agreements, laws and payroll regulations.
• Prepare records of employment for maternity, paternity and parental leave and terminations.
• Prepare various payroll reports.
• Handle payment requests from various suppliers.
• Prepare various reports for the union.
• Provide support for year-end reporting.
• Act as a point of contact for the other payroll groups and as a replacement for the Payroll Manager.
• Coordinate benefits management activities for hourly employees at the Montreal factory and ensure that the collective agreement is correctly applied.
• Manage the reimbursement process for the Health and Wellness program for hourly employees.
• Manage requests and questions from hourly employees and ensure appropriate follow-up.
• Manage various processes related to the pension fund for hourly employees.
• Conduct appropriate follow-ups with various suppliers as needed.
• Update various databases.
• Prepare reports as required.
Health and Safety Training
• In collaboration with the training committee at the Montreal factory, the incumbent will coordinate health and safety training activities for all factory employees.
• Plan internal and external training sessions and follow up as needed with various stakeholders, according to the training matrix.
• Ensure that attendance sheets and evaluation questionnaires are collected after each training session and archive documents according to established procedure.
• Update the training matrix.
Qualifications and Experience
• National Payroll Institute certification granted or in progress;
• DEC in business administration, human resources option (an asset);
• Two years of experience in payroll at a similar-sized company in a unionized environment;
• Strong working knowledge of Microsoft Office products, in-depth knowledge of payroll systems (i.e., PayWorks and Workforce/Kronos).
Skills, Competencies & Languages
• Ability to use established standards to verify accuracy and completeness of own work.
• Ability to approach challenges with confidence and optimism.
• Ability to work in a spirit of collaboration, offering individual support to other team members.
• Sense of initiative and self-improvement for optimal performance and results.
• A high degree of concentration in performing all tasks.
• French and English required (spoken and written).
JTI-Macdonald Corp. is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity and inclusion. Accommodations during the recruitment process are available upon request for candidates with disabilities.
Candidates must be duly authorized to work in Canada.
We thank all applicants for their interest; however only those invited for an interview will be contacted.