Amazon is a global organization at the forefront of the digital economy and offers a great opportunity for a dynamic and experienced Indirect Tax Manager to ensure that the international tax team provides top class support to our business partners. This position is based in either Vancouver or Toronto.
If you thrive in a challenging and fast paced environment, this is the role for you.
Candidates must be comfortable directly liaising with various business teams within the company with an aim of gaining a deep understanding of business vision and model in order to develop comprehensive tax solutions in support of the business, develop tax requirements that clearly articulate such solutions and drive the implementation of the tax requirements. The ideal candidate will primarily focus on indirect tax matters (GST/HST/PST), but also possess a base knowledge of direct tax issues and how those can impact an identified business solution. The candidate will also work closely with other members of the global tax department to communicate current and future business plans, obtain cross-functional tax subject matter input, and ensure coordination of cross-functional tax solutions.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
· Provide indirect tax support for specific business lines and projects, providing quality and timely guidance;
· Ensure new projects launch with indirect tax compliance requirements and processes implemented, minimizing risk and exposure to penalties;
· Researching advanced Canadian indirect tax issues;
· Liaising with advisors and tax authorities on matters relating to the Amazon business;
· Analyze and support legislative changes in the indirect tax field that impact Amazon’s Canadian businesses; and
· Promote indirect tax awareness and knowledge internally including liaising with business and tax partners on changes to systems, policies and processes.
In order to be successful, the candidate must be able to communicate effectively in writing and in person. The candidate should possess the ability to think strategically while also engaging in day-to-day tactical details. The candidate must demonstrate a proven ability to identify and manage tax risks and execute on projects. Additionally, the candidate should have in-depth Canadian indirect tax technical knowledge and experience evaluating and advising on business initiatives, contemplated transactions and business proposals.
· 7+ years of experience in tax, finance or a related analytical field.
· Chartered Accountant (or equivalent) or degree in law, taxation, or accountancy;
· Experience with a public accounting firm, major law firm, or in industry with a multinational business;
· Canadian indirect tax expertise and experience;
· Data analytics skills;
· Able to clearly and concisely interface with all levels of management;
· Excellent written and oral communication skills;
· Detail-oriented individual who takes ownership of projects;
· Demonstrated ability to work effectively on milestone driven projects; and
· Able to work in a fast paced, informal, and often ambiguous environment.